$1.99/mo Web Hosting

Monday, December 17, 2007

Coal or Toys for Christmas, A 2007 Debate

"Have you finished your homework?" I asked my twelve year old son.

He lifted his head above his laptop and replied, "Mom, you've already asked me that three times already. Didn't you listen to me before?"

I remember thinking at that moment that I briefly saw him with his book and papers out from his backpack, but I was so busy myself that I must have lost track of time because I didn't remember asking or his answer. His grades have been improving and so all must be good. Later it was time for bed and I asked him to pick up a bit before going upstairs and to get his backpack ready for school.

My son exclaimed, "You didn't wash my gym clothes!"

By this time, I was already upstairs and my husband and son had some exchange of words as to whose responsibility it was to make sure his gym clothes got put in the dirty clothes to be washed so this wasn't happening again on Sunday night, before bedtime again. After it seemed that peace had been restored, I went to my son's room for the evening ritual of kissing his forehead, setting his sleep timer on his tv, and telling him goodnight. But there was something different. He was facing the wall, instead of the tv, and as I got closer wondering if he could have already fallen asleep, he was reading a book for school and his folder with his school papers was beside him. "I thought you already did your homework," I said.

My son nonchalantly informed me, "I read better in bed."

I asked, "Well, how much homework do you have left?"

He replied, "I have to finish this chapter and then answer the questions on the worksheet."

I said, "Well, from now on if you are going to read in bed and finish homework too, you will need to get into bed earlier. I hope you aren't up too late tonight. I love you, goodnight."

Then I got into bed with my husband and received a report on everything my son didn't do that I had asked him to do.

Does this sound familiar? Do you have a twelve year old? Did you ever get/give coal for Christmas? Have you ever wondered after being called "stupid" or backtalked to, if this Christmas, instead of toys you should give your child coal to teach them a lesson? I even thought maybe coal and then with every act of kindness I would unveil a gift he should have received on Christmas as positive reinforcement until he earned all his gifts. I caught myself praying for guidance last night and then I believe I woke up with the answer. While Christmas is about the birth of Jesus, and God's gift to us... I couldn't help but think of the gift Jesus gave us upon his death on the cross. In the spirit of forgiveness my son wont be opening up a box of coal this Christmas, but instead in honor of Jesus, he will be given gifts once again. If you have a son and are still looking for inspiration on what to buy, here is a link to some
gift ideas. Cheers to a wonderful celebration of the birth of Jesus on Christmas morning for all of us sinners to reflect on the best gift ever from God. Thank God for Jesus! Merry Christmas!

No comments: